Skip to main content

Getting Gabby off the Passie! Part 1

To pacify means to soothe. 
Pacifier means the soother. 
Ever since 1900, pacifers, binkies, soothies, and or passies, have kept babies and toddlers calm and gave parents a little sanity when it comes to cries and temper tantrums. 
But of course, everything good usually comes with bad. Passies can create crooked teeth and more dental problems and most of all, they are addicting. Especially if you we're like me and decided to breastfeed your baby. So pretty much its like a baby cigarette. 
Gabby had a 15 month dental checkup a couple weeks ago and we discovered that she had an underbite. Her dentist of course said that if its not better by the time shes 2 years old, then there will need to be some adjusting. Damn you passie! So me and Claude decided we should go ahead and start weening her off the pacifier. 
We knew that this process was gonna be hard so we thought about it and gave everything a reasonable time limit and reasonable rule.
Our rules until shes about 18 months:

1. No passie for recreation. She can only have it on her when its bedtime and naptime. 
We thought that this would be a good and reasonable rule. She never slept without it anyway. 

2. Just in case and for emergency use only, hide it in the diaper bag. If we're out in public and she seriously starts acting a fool to the point where we cant stand it anymore, give it to her. But only until shes calm and quiet do we hide it back. 
No explanation needed for this rule. Aint nobody got time for that. :-P

Our plan is to follow these rules until shes 18 months. After that, we honestly don't know just yet whether we're going to cut it off completely or give it to her once a day, but of course we'll play it by ear. 

So far its been 2 weeks since we've cut down passie. Ive noticed alot of bad habits formed over it and I seriously wish I would have taken her off sooner. When the passie falls out of her mouth when shes sleep, I just take it out therefore she won't have it when she wakes up. But when I do that, I notice she grinds her teeth together. Ugh! She still has the feeling of that passie in her mouth. Thats probably whats contributing to her underbite jaw. Another thing is, when shes fussy, she constantly looks for it and won't stop crying until she finds something else to distract her. Whew! This might be tougher than I thought. 

No more passie!
~Kortney


Make sure you follow our passie journey and many other journies and big happenings here on my blog, on my Instagram, and my Twitter! 
@KortneyOfficial

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Month of High School! :(

I can't believe that starting Wednesday, it will be my last month of high school. It feels like not too long ago I was in the 4th grade imagining my high school senior year. Now it has finally come to reality. With a few exceptions and changes to that reality lol. I didn't know that I would be going to an arts school, and I definitely never expected to be a high school mom. But all those unexpected things are what makes my life better than expected :) In this final month, there will be so many activities we will be doing so keep checking back later! Hugs and Love! -Kortney "Tough times don't last. Tough people do." ~ Unknown 

Final Trimester! Welcome to the Home Stretch...

I have officially reached the last 3 months of my pregnancy! Yaaaaaay! Baby boy is now the size of an eggplant. I have weighed myself at different places, and i'm actually not sure which one is correct. At the spa, I'm 139....... at my mom's house using her scale, I'm 129..... hopefully I'm 129. Lol. My next doctor's appointment is Tuesday so i'll see how much I REALLY weigh. It scares me because if I really am 139 pounds, that mean's he's going to be huge because I was 139 pounds when I gave birth to Gabby. Speaking of doctor's appointments, I am now going every 2 weeks. Which is good for me because I really have alot of questions now. This pregnancy is so different from my first and I am having so many different symptoms. I am soooo tired of eating. I know that is strange to say coming from a pregnant girl but it's like I'm ALWAYS hungry and I'm ALWAYS  eating. Lol. I'm just really tired of stuffing my face. It doesn't f...

Pregnancy Diary: Third Trimester

Just last week I made it to my last trimester of pregnancy. I am now in the home stretch! So far it has been everything that the pregnancy websites, apps, and books say. Usually in the third trimester aches and pains become worse, fatigue comes back from the first trimester, and new problems pop up as well. These are all true. My feet feel as if they are about to pop, my back is killing me and my poor tummy feels like it has reached its limit for stretching. Sometimes I even feel like baby doesn't have enough room at all to move around anymore. I keep thinking to myself, "Only 10 more weeks". Maybe even shorter/longer than that. Im ready but I'm not ready. I have nothing prepared yet, not even her room. But I just cannot wait until my little angel gets here. :) Love you guys! -Kortney  "Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life."